14/02/2017 – Lewisham / Part-time / Minimum Wage +10%
Following the murder of 16-year-old Jimmy Mizen in May 2008, the Mizen family has been determined to focus on two outcomes; they will not be beaten by his death, and something good will come from it. Since the charity was founded, For Jimmy has worked tirelessly to create a legacy of peace in Jimmy’s name; helping young people to fulfil their potential creating safer and peaceful communities.
The Project: Making Safe Havens with For Jimmy
For Jimmy’s vision is to make Lewisham a place of peace and safety. Join us as we make Safe Havens with Lewisham pupils aged 9 – 13 and teach them about community safety, boost their skills and confidence, and get them involved in their local community; where they forge relationships, and build a stronger sense of safety and belonging.
What is a Safe Haven
Safe Havens are shops and local businesses that young people can turn to in times of need and are identifiable by a sticker on the window. If a young person feels threatened or in danger, they can enter a Safe Haven and the shopkeeper will agree to lock the door and call a parent, guardian or the police.
We are looking for exceptional individuals who can support our work by mentoring a group of pupils through 6 sessions as they build Safe Havens. This involves supporting them through purpose built activities that develop community awareness, confidence and empathy.
- Programmes are currently scheduled from March to July during school hours (8am – 3:30pm, Monday – Friday).
- Each session, on average, runs for 5 hours.
- Each programme, on average, runs for 6 sessions.
- Individuals will need the flexibility to work in schools across Lewisham and Deptford. Occasionally our work extends beyond Lewisham borough, in these instances travel assistance will be provided.
- Remuneration: minimum wage plus 10%.
Download a more detailed job description here.
Thank you for your interest in working for Jimmy. To keep up to date with our work and any future opportunities then sign up to our newsletter here.